This low-slung high school doesn't loom darkly like others of its era — it was built in 1914 — but instead offers an elegant composition of deep red brick with a majestic classical entrance framed in a Doric colonnade and pediment, and set back from a lawn. The building is situated across from another long-vacant historic icon, the Beaux Art Town Hall.
The building is four stories, and more than 350,000 square feet. District records show that in the last decade, more than $600,000 has been spent on the building
for capital improvements, but it is likely to need another $33 million in repairs, updates, and code compliance.